Monday, October 31, 2011

Lab #4: ArcGIS Tutorial



Potentials and Pitfalls:

After using ArcGIS for the first time, I was shocked at how relatively easy it was to learn basic concepts while having no prior experience in GIS software. I found that many tools were clear and easy to understand without much explanation. I noticed a wide variety of creative options, even while following a step-by-step tutorial. What was also surprising was the amount of different ways to display various forms of data. Even with the varying data and customizations, the end result was a graphic that was very easy to understand.

Without knowing what is expected of GIS software in terms of today's technological limits, it is hard to mention pitfalls except ones that relate to my brief personal experience. The only difficulty I endured happened when I tried to use the program via remote desktop. Each time I made the slightest alteration, as little as using the zoom feature, all of the data layers had to reload. It took as much as an hour for the software to perform larger actions, as I waited patiently watching the "loading" icon so I could continue. I quickly realized that it was ineffective and not going to work.

Using ArcGIS on a computer that carries the software is an entirely different experience. I found that actions were performed quickly and there was little lag. I understand that our first assignment was likely of very basic nature and that it will get more complicated and tasks will need more processing time in the future. However, the ease I experienced shows that even beginners can create informative and effective maps with ArcGIS. However, the high cost of own the program for personal use means it is probably limited to professionals who use it in their field.

Overall ArcGIS seems to be a very effective program in terms of speed and capabilities. The creative options are endless, giving the user a chance to make maps and data attractive and informative. I enjoyed the surprise of being able to produce a graphic with so much information and was extremely pleased with the way it came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment